- De-Escalate individuals who may be in a mental health crisis and divert them away from the criminal justice system
- To improve interactions between law enforcement and persons with mental illness
- To prevent the inappropriate restraint, incarceration, and stigmatization of persons with mental illness
- To reduce injury to officers, family members, and individuals in crisis, and
- To link individuals with mental illness to appropriate treatment and resources in the community.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
An education program that helps participants identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substances use disorders.
Candidates are chosen based on their police skill, compassion, patience and the ability to think creatively.