- De-Escalate individuals who may be in a mental health crisis and divert them away from the criminal justice system
- To improve interactions between law enforcement and persons with mental illness
- To prevent the inappropriate restraint, incarceration, and stigmatization of persons with mental illness
- To reduce injury to officers, family members, and individuals in crisis, and
- To link individuals with mental illness to appropriate treatment and resources in the community.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
MHFA is an 8-hour international evidence based educational program that teaches participants how to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental health and substance use disorders among adults.
CIT is a 40-hour weeklong program that provides participants with the foundation necessary to promote community solutions to assist
individuals diagnosed with mental illness and/or substance use disorders. Trainees will also learn and practice de-escalation techniques
in guided role plays.